A Grade: 2019 Queensland Traffic Offenders Program (QTOP) A Grade Round 21
'Recharged' Eagles return with finals looming
Kevin Braysher - SEQSouth East Queensland correspondent
Fri 23 Aug 2019, 12:16 PM
A “recharged” Currumbin Eagles return to action against the Bilambil Jets in the final round of the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition this Sunday.
After a tough month full of tight finishes, Currumbin had a well-earned break thanks to the bye last weekend and with their top-three spot wrapped up they are in an excellent position one week out from the finals.
“The bye couldn’t have come at a better time for us,” Eagles coach Ryan Gundry said. “It let us recharge our batteries heading into semi-finals.
“We are still a chance for finishing second and getting a home final – but destiny will determine that.
“We need to build going into finals and get those things that we have been working on into place this weekend. If we do that, we will have good momentum for the first semi against Southport.”
Currumbin need a big win on Sunday to be a chance of finishing second, and they would also need Southport to suffer a third straight defeat.
Regardless of where it is played, the Eagles will face Southport in a major semi-final next weekend.
While the finals are no doubt on the minds of Currumbin, Gundry was not prepared to look through his opponents this week, who despite being out of finals contention have proven a thorn in the side of the top sides on a number of occasions this year.
“It is Bilambil’s last game of the year and I am sure they will throw everything at us,” Gundry said.
“They will give us a run for our money – they have nothing to lose. We will work hard this weekend to keep Bilambil at bay, then worry about Southport.”
The Jets will be looking to finish their season on a high as they chase their first win since Round 17.
They have had two losses and a draw since then and will no doubt be hoping to make the most of their last appearance of the year.
Jets coach Kevin Campion has been chasing consistency and commitment from his men all year and knows when they pull together, they can perform.
“When we had 20 players training and we played Round 19 against Tugun, we drew – because we were a full-strength squad,” Campion said.
“Currumbin tend to keep things pretty simple. They have quality players in their side, and it will be a tough match for us.”
The Currumbin Eagles travel to Bilambil Sports this Sunday afternoon at 2pm in the Rugby League Gold Coast match of the round. It will be live streamed on the RLGC Facebook page.
Elsewhere in the final round of the regular season, Southport attempt to break a two-game losing streak against defending champs Runaway Bay while Ormeau will play their last game of the year against Tugun. Minor premiers Burleigh have the bye.
* Images courtesy of the Gold Coast Bulletin
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade Round 21 team lists
Bilambil Jets v Currumbin Eagles - Sunday, August 25 at Bilambil Sports - 2pm
1. Carne Rhodes 2. Sam Plater 3. Hayden Tolland 4. Jamie Wulff 5. Luke Jaeger 6. Jayden Love 7. Ben Rigney 8. Will McCullough 9. Tom Rowles 10. Mitch Spackman 11. Jack Rowles 12. Drew McCullough 13. Tom Raftery 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Tyson Donnelly 16. Brendon Welsh 17. Jai Hosking
Coach: Kevin Campion
1. Bayley Gill 2. Bayley Desmond 3. Jake Gleeson 4. Blake Morrison 5. Ben Willetts 6. Dan Mortimer 7. Phil Ramage 8. Pele Peletelese 9. Josh Campbell 10. Jarrod Gill 11. Mike Grey 12. Kurtis Dark 13. Harrison Burling 14. Liam Donnelly 15. Liam Thompson 16. Kieran Tarrant 17. Harry Wecker
Coach: Ryan Gundry
Ormeau Shearers v Tugun Seahawks - Sunday, August 25 at Brien Harris Oval - 2pm
1. Liam Hori-Clark 2. Hirini Robin 3. Lance Belford-Laulu 4. Shay Stevens 5. Brogan Melrose 6. TBA 7. Leighmon Hohaia Katene 8. Timothy Wolens 9. Jayden Alaiasa-Heu 10. Regan Ropati 11. Parahi Wilson 12. Jesse Malcolm 13. Dion Belford-Laulu 14. Te Rupe Douglas-Webb 15. TBA 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Thomas Tapu
Coach: Julius Kuresa
1. Macauley Dawson 2. Jai Veli 3. Kurtis Mcdonald 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Sami Latu 6. Jacob Grant 7. Sam Meskell 8. Josh Harvey 9. Will Johnson 10. Jodan Aiono 11. Nick Harrold 12. Rory Lillis 13. Levi Norton\ 14. Rob Apanui 15. Blake Zillman 16. Ryan Martin 17. TBA
Coach: Clint Barends
Southport Tigers v Runaway Bay Seagulls - Sunday, August 25 at Owen Park - 2pm
1. Barry Rutley 2. Dexter Moroney 3. Tevita Folau 4. Jack Conlan 5. Zoram Watene 6. Campbell Pirihi 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Simione Ata 9. Liam Hampson 10. Denzal Ngati 11. Carlo Alimboyong 12. Jaleel Seve-Derbas 13. Luke Polson 15. Dallas Donnelly 16. Lachlan Douglas 17. Corey Walker
Coach: Steve Dowd
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Jake Powell 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Daniel Kelly 6. James Poland 8. Doryaan Hape-Apiata 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 11. Steve Tolo 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Taniela Palavi 14. Jack Doran 15. Dimitri Pelo 16. Jordan Champion
Coach: Nick Gleeson
Bye – Burleigh