A Grade: 2019 Queensland Traffic Offenders Program A Grade Round 15
Bears and Seahawks battle in fierce local rivalry
Kevin Braysher - SEQSouth East Queensland correspondent
Fri 12 Jul 2019, 10:22 AM
The Tugun Seahawks will look to break a two-game losing streak when they host local rivals the Burleigh Bears on Sunday afternoon.
After securing four wins and a draw between Round 7 and Round 12, the Seahawks have dropped back to fourth with consecutive losses at the hands of Southport and Ormeau.
At their best, the Seahawks have proven they can beat anybody in the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition, but with seven rounds left in the regular season, they need to regain their confidence and consistency to guarantee their place in the finals.
“The last couple of weeks we have been under strength (but) we need to click into gear, we are not safely in the top five,” Seahawks coach Clint Barends said.
“I am looking for an improved performance. We need to put our best foot forward and play decent footy.
"It is a strong competition and it doesn’t matter who we are playing – each game is a tough contest.”
Working in the favour of the Seahawks is the fact they are the only team who have taken a point away from the Bears this year.
Burleigh have been the benchmark from the very beginning, and their 16-16 draw with Tugun in Round 7 is the only blemish on an otherwise perfect record.
Tugun have the type of rivalry with Burleigh where they relish the opportunity to be the underdogs who knock off the Bears when nobody expects them to.
Matt Foster has been coaching the Bears for long enough to know, that no matter how many games his side has won this year, you never underestimate Tugun.
“The longer you go undefeated the more of a target you become,” he said.
“We need to play every game to win. Most teams have been in it against us - we have managed to take it towards the end.
“We need to have the right mentality, stay in the contest for the full 80 minutes and outlast them.”
If Burleigh can keep their win-streak alive it will take them to 44 competition points, at least seven points clear at the top of the ladder. A lead that will almost guarantee the minor premiership.
Tugun need to win to keep touch with the top three and risk dropping to fifth if they suffer a third straight loss on Sunday.
The Tugun Seahawks clash with Burleigh is the Rugby League Gold Coast match of the round and will be broadcast live on the RLGC Facebook page from 2pm on Sunday.
Other Round 15 clashes include Currumbin hosting Southport and Runaway Bay taking on Ormeau. Bilambil Jets have the bye.
* Main image courtesy of the Gold Coast Bulletin
Rugby League Gold Coast Round 15 team lists
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Ormeau Shearers - Saturday, July 13 at Bycroft Oval - 4pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Harry Hill 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. James Poland 7. Jaylan Toó 8. Doryaan Hape-Apiata 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Taniela Palavi 14. Jack Doran 15. Adyn Anguna 16. Luke Mastroianni 17. Daniel Hayes
Coach: Nick Gleeson
1. Jay Melrose 2. Jayden Alaiasa-Heu 3. Hirini Robin 4. Liam Hori-Clark 5. Shay Stevens 6. Leighmon Hohaia Katene 7. Grayson Te Kiri 8. Timothy Wolens 9. Chase Kereama-Williams 10. Jesse Malcolm 11. Parahi Wilson 12. Caleb Pirini 13. Blake Midson 14. Te Rupe Douglas-Webb 15. Regan Ropati 16. Dion Belford-Laulu 17. Martin Burkhardt
Coach: Julius Kuresa
Currumbin Eagles v Southport Tigers - Saturday, July 13 at Galleon Way - 3pm
1. Phil Ramage 2. Kurt Perry 3. Ben Willetts 4. Mitch Whitton 5. Josh Walker 6. Jake Gleeson 7. Bayley Gill 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Josh Campbell 10. Pele Peletelese 11. Kurtis Dark 12. Matt Munckton 13. Shane Gillham 14. Brent Woolf 15. Harrison Burling 16. Harry Wecker 17. Liam Donnelly
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Jack Conlan 2. Dexter Moroney 3. Naz Monsall 4. Lee Turner 5. Corey Walker 6. Jaman Rio 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Luke Polson 9. Liam Hampson 10. Nathan Young 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Simione Ata 13. Jacob Pottinger 14. Zoram Watene 15. Jaleel Seve-Derbas 16. Damian Mills 17. Carlo Alimboyong
Coach: Steve Dowd
Tugun Seahawks v Burleigh Bears - Sunday, July 14 at Boyd Street - 2pm
1. Corey Morris 2. Samiu Latu 3. Kody Parsons 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Jai Velli 6. Jacob Grant 7. Sam Meskell 8. Josh Harvey 9. Will Johnstone 10. Nick Harrold 11. Ethan Roberts 12. Levi Norton 13. Issac Worboys 14. Rory Lillis 15. Blake Zillman 16. TBA 17. TBA
Coach: Clint Barends
1. Shallin Fuller 2. Regan Muir Ogle 3. Tyronne Roberts-Davis 4. Josh Berkers 5. Reece Tapine 6. Tanah Boyd 7. Matt Egan 8. Josh Ailaomai 9. Jordan Scott 10. Ben Valeni 11. Brett Stratton 12. Api Noema 13. TBA 14. TBA 15. Lochlyn Sheldon 16. Luke Maiden 17. TBA
Coach: Matt Foster
Bye – Bilambil