A Grade: 2019 Queensland Traffic Offenders Program A Grade Round 14
Tugun and Ormeau clash in key Gold Coast match
Kevin Braysher - SEQSouth East Queensland correspondent
Fri 28 Jun 2019, 12:07 PM
After suffering a disappointing loss last week, the Tugun Seahawks will look to bounce back against the Ormeau Shearers in Round 14 of the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition.
Tugun were unbeaten in their previous five games but were put away 52-12 by Southport in Round 13.
It was a costly loss that saw them slip to fourth on the ladder, but coach Clint Barends was relatively happy with the effort given the circumstances and the number of players missing on the day.
“That morning we lost 4 players to illness, so we only had 12 players and the other five players backed up from reserve grade,” Barends said.
“I was happy really, because the boys tried hard. It was good to give the reserve grade players the opportunity.”
They get the chance to get back on track this Sunday when they host the Ormeau Shearers in the QTOP A Grade match of the round which will be live-streamed on the Rugby League Gold Coast Facebook page.
Ormeau come into the game on the back of an impressive showing against the Burleigh Bears.
The seventh placed Shearers showed plenty of intent against the undefeated competition leaders, eventually going down 24-16.
“It is weird feeling good about a loss but hopefully we have turned a corner with attitude,” Ormeau coach Julius Kuresa said.
“The Tigers haven’t done us any favours. Tugun were running along well, and that was a reality check and we will be on the receiving end of that backlash, but we will be prepared.
“We need to salvage something from the season – we haven’t performed to our full potential. Hopefully the attitude and mindset has changed.”
Traditionally a strong hold, the Seahawks have won just two from five home games at Boyd Street this season, while the Shearers’ sole win in 2019 was on the road.
Other Round 14 fixtures will see Currumbin hosting Bilambil and Runaway Bay taking on Southport. Burleigh have the bye.
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition Round 14 team lists
Currumbin Eagles v Bilambil Jets - Sunday, June 30 at Galleon Way - 2pm
1. Phil Ramage 2. Kurt Perry 3. Ben Willetts 4. Mitch Whitton 5. Josh Walker 6. Jake Gleeson 7. Bayley Gill 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Josh Campbell 10. Pele Peletelese 11. Kurtis Dark 12. Matt Munckton 13. Shane Gillham 14. Brent Woolf 15. Harrison Burling 16. Harry Wecker 17. Liam Donnelly
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Carne Rhodes 2. Sam Plater 3. Max Campion 4. Jamie Wulff 5. Elijah Arnold 6. Tom Plater 7. Rex Johnson 8. Will McCullough 9. Tom Rowles 10. Mitch Spackman 11. Tyson Donnelly 12. Drew McCullough 13. Ryan Taylor 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Brendon Welsh 16. Josh Quinn 17. Mitch Malone
Coach: Kevin Campion
Tugun Seahawks v Ormeau Shearers - Sunday, June 30 at Boyd St - 2pm
1. Corey Morris 2. Samiu Latu 3. Kody Parsons 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Jai Velli 6. Jacob Grant 7. Sam Meskell 8. Josh Harvey 9. Will Johnstone 10. Nick Harrold 11. Ethan Roberts 12. Levi Norton 13. Issac Worboys 14. Rory Lillis 15. Blake Zillman
Coach: Clint Barends
1. Jay Melrose 2. Jayden Alaiasa-Heu 3. Hirini Robin 4. Liam Hori-Clark 5. Shay Stevens 6. Leighmon Hohaia Katene 7. Grayson Te Kiri 8. Timothy Wolens 9. Chase Kereama-Williams 10. Jesse Malcolm 11. Parahi Wilson 12. Caleb Pirini 13. Blake Midson 14. Te Rupe Douglas-Webb 15. Regan Ropati 16. Dion Belford-Laulu 17. Martin Burkhardt
Coach: Julius Kuresa
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Southport Tigers - Sunday, June 30 at Bycroft Oval - 2pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Harry Hill 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. James Poland 7. Jaylan Toó 8. Doryaan Hape-Apiata 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Taniela Palavi 14. Jack Doran 15. Adyn Anguna 16. Luke Mastroianni 17. Daniel Hayes
Coach: Nick Gleeson
1. Jack Conlan 2. Dexter Moroney 3. Naz Monsall 4. Lee Turner 5. Corey Walker 6. Ronin Rio 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Luke Polson 9. Liam Hampson 10. Nathan Young 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Simione Ata 13. Jacob Pottinger 14. Zoram Watene 15. Jaleel Seve-Derbas 16. Damian Mills 17. Carlo Alimboyong
Coach: Steve Dowd
Bye – Burleigh