A Grade: 2019 Queensland Traffic Offenders Program (QTOP) A Grade Round 12
Bay host Currumbin in crucial RLGC clash
Kevin Braysher - SEQSouth East Queensland correspondent
Fri 14 Jun 2019, 11:14 AM
Two of the competition’s best will be looking to bounce back from last-start losses when Runaway Bay hosts Currumbin in Round 12 of the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition.
Currently sitting in fourth and fifth on a congested competition ladder, Sunday’s clash shapes as an opportunity to create some breathing space as the finals race starts to heat up.
Currumbin are hoping to bounce back from a last-minute 14-10 loss at the hands of the Tugun Seahawks in Round 11.
The Eagles took the lead with two minutes to go, only for the Seahawks to pull it out of the fire in the 80th minute.
That loss saw the Eagles slip to fourth spot on the ladder and coach Ryan Gundry knows his side needs to shake off that disappointment and start stringing wins together if they want to finish higher up the ladder.
“Every game is important at this time of year,” said Gundry.
“We have the bye next week, so essentially this is a six-point game for us and a huge game in terms of the ladder position.
“We need to improve on last week – especially with ball in hand.
"If we do that, we are a good chance of winning.”
Standing in their way on Sunday is the defending premiers, who went down 32-20 at the hands of Burleigh in Round 10 and were then forced to sit at home and stew on it thanks to the bye last weekend.
The premiers have had little luck with injury this season and have been forced to call on their depth time and again.
This weekend will be no different; with Tane-James Rapira now out for the season and Queensland Rangers representative fullback John Mackin earning a call up to Intrust Super Cup.
Bay coach Nick Gleeson admitted this season's injuries have been frustrating but isn’t looking to make excuses and continues to trust his depth.
“Injuries happen, it is part of the sport and we have to make do,” he said.
“We need to build on consistency .. all our losses [apart from Burleigh] have only been by one or two tries.
“We need to pull together the core group that we have and work hard.
"The comp is close and every game counts.”
Gundry said despite Bay’s injuries they are still a force to be reckoned with and his men need to be at their best.
“With youth comes enthusiasm,” the Currumbin coach added.
“Bay are a hard team to play at home - there are no easy games in this competition – you have to prepare for the hardest game every weekend.
"If you are five percent down, you’re going to get beaten.”
Runaway Bay hosts the Eagles this Sunday afternoon at 2pm.
The game will be live streamed on the Rugby League Gold Coast Facebook page.
Also in Round 12; Burleigh hosts Southport, Tugun hosts Bilambil and Ormeau has the bye.
* Main image courtesy of the Gold Coast Bulletin
Round 12 team lists
Burleigh Bears v Southport Tigers 5.45pm Saturday, June 15 at Pizzey Park
1. Taine Tuaupiki 2. Te Mcdonald 3. Josh Berkers 4. Regan Muir Ogle 5. Reece Tapine 6. Connor Toia 7. Matt Egan 8. Tyler Szepanowski 9. Jordan Scott 10. Ben Valeni 11. Brett Stratton 12. Api Noema 13. Reece Summer 14. Shallin Fuller 15. Lochlyn Sheldon 16. Luke Maiden
Coach: Matt Foster
1. Barry Rutley 2. Dexter Moroney 3. Tevita Folau 4. Simione Ata 5. Jack Conlan 6. Zac Walsh 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Luke Polson 9. Jacob Pottinger 10. Nathan Young 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Jaleel Seve-Derbas 13. Damian Mills 14. Zoram Watene 15. Naz Monsall 16. Corey Walker 17. Carlo Alimboyong
Coach: Steve Dowd
Tugun Seahawks v Bilambil Jets 2pm Sunday, June 16 at Boyd Street
1. Corey Morris 2. Samiu Latu 3. Kody Parsons 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Jai Velli 6. Jacob Grant 7. Sam Meskell 8. Josh Harvey 9. Will Johnstone 10. Nick Harrold 11. Ethan Roberts 12. Levi Norton 13. Issac Worboys 14. Rory Lillis 15. Blake Zillman
Coach: Clint Barends
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Sam Plater 3. Max Campion 4. Jamie Wullf 5. Elijah Arnold 6. Tom Plater 7. Rex Johnson 8. Will McCullough 9. Tom Rowles 10. Mitch Spackman 11. Tyson Donnelly 12. Drew McCullough 13. Tom Raftery 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Carne Rhodes 16. Josh Quinn 17. Wade Hall
Coach: Kevin Campion
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Currumbin Eagles 2pm Sunday, June 16 at Bycroft Oval
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. Queille Murray 2. Daniel Kelly 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. James Poland 7. Steven Rooney 8. Jack Doran 9. Daniel Hayes 10. Taniela Palavi 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Tane-James Rapira 14. Brodie Hannon 15. Mathew Canning 16. Steven Tolo 17. Tamanui Nicholas
Coach: Nick Gleeson
1. Phil Ramage 2. Kurt Perry 3. Xavier Coates 4. Lachie Smith 5. Josh Walker 6. Jake Gleeson 7. Bayley Gill 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Josh Campbell 10. Pele Peletelese 11. Mike Grey 12. Matt Munckton 13. Shane Gillham 14. Luke Barry 15. Liam Thompson 16. Harry Wecker
Coach: Ryan Gundry