A Grade 2019 Queensland Traffic Offenders Program A Grade Round 9
Coast competition returns with heavyweight clash
Kevin Braysher - SEQ & Rugby League Gold Coast Media
Fri 24 May 2019, 11:37 AM
Two of the competition heavyweights will do battle as the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition returns for Round 9 this weekend.
The unbeaten competition leaders Burleigh host the 2018 minor premiers the Currumbin Eagles at Pizzey Park this Sunday afternoon in what shapes as an intriguing contest.
This will be the second meeting of these sides, with the Bears securing a 28-8 back in Round 3.
Since then, the Eagles have won three of their last four games and coach Ryan Gundry believed they would be better equipped to take on the Bears this time.
“We are chomping at the bit to play – really looking forward to it,” he said.
“Burleigh are a quality opposition, which is a bonus – that’s why we play - to have good games like this".
“We have played together more as a team since Round 3. Prior to that we had only had one trial – we are more comfortable now.
“We have put things in place to be successful; the competition is very close. We are preparing well for these games and we understand what is at stake.
“We are looking forward to the challenge. The boys are keen to test themselves – it will be a good Sunday afternoon of footy.”
Burleigh return after a long lay-off, having had the bye in Round 8 before the entire competition went on break last week as the Alpha Sport Chairman’s Challenge representative series took centre stage.
As a result, the Bears have not taken the field since May 5, when they drew 16-16 with the Tugun Seahawks.
Bears coach Matt Foster admitted the break can be a double-edged sword, as his side will be refreshed from the time off but will likely play with some rust this weekend.
However, with an abundance of young talent in his side he and his men are excited to get back on the field.
“I like how Currumbin play,” Foster said. “When we first played them, they were very expansive and playing a lot to the edges, now they are mixing it up – keeping you guessing - which presents a challenge.
“It will be a good game. This week we have quite a few young players; a lot of Under 20s. It will be a very young team. It will be a challenge for them, but part of their growth as footballers.”
Kick-off between the Bears and Eagles is this Sunday afternoon at 2pm from Pizzey Park. The game will be live streamed on Rugby League Gold Coast social media.
Round 9 will also feature the Ormeau Shearers hosting the Bilambil Jets as well as the Tugun Seahawks against the Runaway Bay Seagulls. Second-placed Southport Tigers have the bye.
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade Competition Round 9 team lists
Ormeau Shearers v Bilambil Jets - Sunday, May 26 at Brien Harris Oval, 2pm
1. Tye Barry 2. Anthony Setu 3. Brogan Melrose 4. Liam Hori-Clark 5. Hirini Robin 6. Leighmon Hohaia Katene 7. Joshua Willetts 8. Jesse Malcolm 9. Grayson Te Kiri 10. Anthony Gray 11. Parahi Wilson 12. Caleb Pirini 13. Blake Midson 14. Shay Stevens 15. Diaz Sharrock 16. Chase Kereama-Williams
Coach: Julius Kuresa
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Jayden Love 3. Max Campion 4. Kallum McKay 5. Joel Hart 6. Conrad Green 7. Zeke Garrett 8. Mitch Spackman 9. Tom Rowles 10. Will McCullough 11. Drew McCullough 12. Tom Raftery 13. Jack Welsh 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Josh Quinn 16. Ryan Taylor 17. Brendon Welsh
Coach: Kevin Campion
Burleigh Bears v Currumbin Eagles - Sunday, May 26 at Pizzey Park, 2pm
1. Taine Tuaupiki 2. Kea Pere 3. Jaxson Paulo 4. Josh Berkers 5. Henare Wells 6. Connor Tioa 7. Matt Egan 8. Oliver Percy 9. Jordon Scott 10. Ben Valeni 11. Matt Robinson12. Api Noema 13. Jesse Savage 14. Regan Muir Ogle 15. Brett Stratton 16. Tyler Szepanowski 17. Tyler Sparkes
Coach: Matt Foster
1. Bayley Gill 2. Lachie Smith 3. Ken Allison 4. Ben Willetts 5. Josh Walker 6. Dan Mortimer 7. Phil Ramage 8. Pele Peletelese 9. Kurtis Dark 10. Stuart Mason 11. Mike Gray 12. Jarrod Gill 13. Shane Gillham 14. Liam Donnelly 15. Liam Thompson 16. Matt Munckton 17. Jake Gleeson
Coach: Ryan Gundry
Tugun Seahawks v Runaway Bay Seagulls - Sunday, May 26 at Boyd Street, 2pm
1. Corey Morris 2. Zac Jones 3. Kurtis MacDonald 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Samui Latu 6. Jacob Grant 7. Sam Meskell 8. Josh Harvey 9. Will Johnstone 10. Nick Harrold 11. Kody Parsons 12. Ethan Roberts 13. Rob Apanui 14. Levi Norton 15. Rory Lillis
Coach: Clint Barends
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Steve Tolo 3. Daniel Kelly 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. Alan White 7. James Poland 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Javarh Nofoagatotoa 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Tane-James Rapira 14. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 15. Daniel Palavi 16. Doryaan Hape Apiata 17. Tamanui Nicholas
Coach: Nick Gleeson
Bye – Southport Tigers