Jets host Eagles in Gold Coast match of the round
Kevin Braysher - SEQSouth East Queensland correspondent
Fri 10 May 2019, 04:47 PM
The Bilambil Jets will host the match of the round when they face off with the Currumbin Eagles on Sunday afternoon.
Currumbin will be looking to bounce back from a last-start loss against the Southport Tigers, while the Jets are pushing through some injury concerns as they hunt for their second win of the season.
Jets coach Kevin Campion conceded the club was doing it tough with the likes of Kobi Hugen, Jack Rowles and Rex Johnson all suffering from serious injuries.
Bilambil, however, is a resilient club often at their most dangerous when underestimated, and Campion said he was confident his men would put in a competitive effort against last year’s minor premiers.
“We need to improve on our completion rate and give less penalties,” Campion said.
“Currumbin have good quality players and would be disappointed about their loss to Southport. They will be physical upfront and wanting to make amends.”
Jets' opposition will be on the bounce-back after a 25-10 defeat at the hands of Southport last week.
That loss saw the Eagles slip to fourth spot on the ladder and while Eagles coach Ryan Gundry said the Tigers were very impressive on the day, he would be looking for an improved effort against the Jets.
“With the Easter weekend followed by the bye, it had been 21 days that we hadn’t played (before the Southport game) and it really showed,” Gundry said.
“The competition is quite even. It will be a tough affair down there on Sunday in front of a vocal crowd. We are preparing for a battle.
“We need to work on being more dominant in the ruck, completing tackles and playing field position.”
The Bilambil Jets and Currumbin Eagles is the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade match of the round and will be livestreamed on RLGC social media from 2pm Sunday.
Also in Round 8, Ormeau hosts Tugun and Runaway Bay travel to Southport. Competition leaders Burleigh have the bye.
Rugby League Gold Coat QTOP A Grade Round 8
Bilambil Jets vs Currumbin Eagles – Sunday May 12 at Bilambil Sports, 2pm
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Kallum Mackay 3. Max Campion 4. Joel Hart 5. Jayden Love 6. Conrad Green 7. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman 9. Tom Rowles 10. Will McCullough 11. Bailey Faulls 12. Tyson Donnelly 13. Jack Welsh 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Drew McCullough 16. Tom Raftery 17. Brendon Welsh
Coach: Kevin Campion
1. Phil Ramage 2. Lachie Smith 3. Ken Allison 4. Ben Willetts 5. Kurt Perry 6. Dan Mortimer 7. Bayley Gill 8. Pele Peletelese 9. Josh Campbell 10. Stuart Mason 11. Matt Munckton 12. Jarrod Gill 13. Ji Van Heerwaarden 14. Liam Donnelly 15. Tynan Russell 16. Luke Barry 17. Harry Wecker
Coach: Ryan Gundry
Ormeau Shearers vs Tugun Seahawks – Sunday May 12 at Ormeau Seniors, 2pm
1. Tye Barry 2. Shay Stevens 3. Hirini Robin 4. Liam Hori-Clark 5. Jayden Alaiasa-Heu 6. Joshua Willetts 7. Leighmon Hohaia Katene 8. Jesse Malcolm 9. Grayson Te Kiri 10. Te Rupe Douglas-Webb 11. Caleb Pirini 12. Matthew Parata 13. Parahi Wilson 14. Anthony Gray 15. Chase Kereama-Williams
Coach: Julius Kuresa
1. Wyndham Peachey 2. Kody Parsons 3. Kurtis Mac Donald 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Corey Morris 6. Isaac Worboys 7. Jacob Grant 8. Josh Harvey 9. Sam Meskell 10. Nick Harrold 11. Macauley Dawson 12. Rob Apanui 13. Ethan Roberts 14. Zac Jones 15. Blake Zillman 16. Troy Canning
Coach: Clint Barends
Southport Tigers vs Runaway Bay Seagulls – Sunday May 12 at Owen Park, 2pm
1. Jack Conlan 2. Zoram Watene 3. Lee Turner 4. Tevita Folau 5. Corey Walker 6. Kobi Annand 7. Campbell Pirihi 8. Jarrod Morfett 9. Jacob Pottinger 10. Denzal Ngati 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Carlo Alimboyong 13. Luke Polson 14. Liam Hampson 15. Dallas Donnelly 16. Lachlan Douglas
Coach: Steve Dowd
1. John Mackin 2. Steve Tolo 3. Daniel Kelly 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. Alan White 7. James Poland 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Javarh Nofoagatotoa 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13 Tane-James Rapira 14. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 15. Daniel Palavi 16. Doryaan Hape Apiata 17. Tamanui Nicholas
Coach: Nick Gleeson