Eagles and Seagulls square off in heavyweight clash
Kevin Braysher - SEQSouth East Queensland correspondent
Fri 12 Apr 2019, 10:26 AM
The two top teams from 2018 go head-to-head in Round 5 of the Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition.
Currumbin were the minor premiers last season and currently sit in fourth spot with two wins and two losses to their name.
The last time they came up against Bay was in last year’s major semi-final where they suffered a 10-6 defeat.
“Every time we play Runaway Bay it is a tight, tough game,” Currumbin coach Ryan Gundry said.
“We had a number of close matches last year and I expect nothing less this year.”
The Eagles come into this game in winning form thanks to a 22-14 victory over the Tugun Seahawks last week.
Star recruit Daniel Mortimer stood out with two tries on the day, which saw him jump to the top of the try-scorers list at this early stage of the season.
With more than 100 games of NRL experience with the Eels, Roosters, Titans and Sharks; Mortimer will be a huge asset at Galleon Way this year.
“He is everything I thought he would be,” Gundry said of Mortimer. “(He is) fitting in really well, playing his role and helping the younger guys improve.”
Bay, on the other hand, are back from the bye but still nursing a number of injuries.
During their last outing against Tugun they lost winger Queille Murray and centre Ben Fritz to add to their already growing list of injuries.
With the Easter break coming next weekend, Bay coach Nick Gleeson said that this weekend’s outing against Currumbin would be an important one for his wounded side.
“This will be an important two weeks for all clubs to work on where they need to improve,” he said.
“Fortunately, we have good depth in the club and the guys filling in are more than capable.
“Currumbin started the season slowly but are on the improve. They didn’t play trials and so a lot of the guys are getting better as they get more game time.
"Currumbin will definitely turn up on Saturday, so we will have to be on our game.”
The Currumbin Eagles against the Runaway Bay Seagulls is the match of the round and will be live streamed on Rugby League Gold Coast social media from 3pm on Saturday.
Other Round 5 fixtures will see the Bilambil Jets take on the Tugun Seahawks, while the Burleigh Bears travel to Southport to take on the Tigers.
Rugby League Gold Coast QTOP A Grade competition Round 5
Currumbin Eagles v Runaway Bay Seagulls - Saturday April 13 at Galleon Way, 3pm
1. Phil Ramage 2. Liam Weatherley 3. Ken Allison 4. Jake Smith 5. Lachie Smith 6. Dan Mortimer 7. Luke Jurd 8. Pele Peletelese 9. Kurtis Dark 10. Stuart Mason 11. Mike Gray 12. Liam Donnelly 13. Jarrod Gill 14. Zane Willshire 15. Brandon Mahon 16. Jake Gleeson 17. Harry Wecker
Coach: Ryan Gundry
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Queille Murray 3. Ben Fritz 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Jake Powell 6. Alan White 7. James Poland 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish 10. Javarh Nofoagatotoa 11. Darcy Sims 12. Taylor Daniels 13. Tane-James Rapira 14. Kimihia Pakipaki-Hemopo 15. Mitchell Barry 16. Daniel Kelly 17. Brodie Hannon
Coach: Nick Gleeson
Bilambil Jets v Tugun Seahawks - Sunday April 14 at Bilambil Seniors, 2pm
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Sam Beazley 3. Nathan Ingram 4. Max Campion 5. Blake Graham 6. Conrad Green 7. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman 9. Thomas Rowles 10. Kobi Hugen 11. Jack Rowles 12. Bailey Faull 13. Jack Welsh 14. PJ Tevaga 15. Ryan Tyalor 16. Brendan Welsh 17. Josh Quinn
Coach: Kevin Campion
1. Wyndham Peachey 2. Troy Canning 3. Kurt Mac Donald 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Corey Morris 6. Isaac Worboys 7. Jacob Grant 8. Josh Harvey 9. Sam Meskell 10. Nick Harrold 11. Bryce Thomas 12. Levi Norton 13. Ayden Lee 14. Macauley Dawson 15. Blake Zillman 16. Rob Apanui17. TBA
Coach: Clint Barends
Southport Tigers v Burleigh Bears - Sunday April 14 at Owen Park, 2pm
1. Zoram Watene 2. Tevita Folau 3. Lee Turner 4. Jack Conlan 5. Carlo Alimboyong 6. Cambpell Pirihi 7. Liam Hampson 8. Jarrod Morfett 9. Jacob Pottinger 10. Denzal Ngati 11. Tu Whakathi-Paikea 12. Simione Ata 13. Luke Polson 16. Dallas Donnelly 17. Lachlan Douglas 18. Ezra Howe 19. Zac Walsh
Coach: Steve Dowd
1. George House 2. Te Mcdonald 3. Justin Tavae 4. Josh Berkers 5. Regan Muir Ogle 6. Josh Rogers 7. Connor Tioa 8. Oliver Percy 9. Bailey Court 10. Sam Saville 11. Apiata Noema 12. Darius Farmer 13. Reece Summer 14. Huston Holloway 15. Gene Ropoama 16. Ben Valeni 17. Brett Stratton
Coach: Matt Foster
Ormeau Shearers - bye