Round 15 of the Rugby League Gold Coast competition will kick off this weekend in anticipation.
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Tweed Heads Seagulls
Dominating the Southport Tigers last weekend 42-6, the Runaway Bay Seagulls are looking strong leading into this weekend’s clash against the Tweed Heads Seagulls. Needing an attitude change, Runaway Bay prepared well against the Tigers and hope to bring the same confidence against Tweed Heads. “We are building on the positives from last week and know every game counts leading into the finals,” Runaway Bay Coach Clinton Toopi said. Emphasizing on the middle, Toopi was pleased with how the forwards stepped up to their roles. Kimi Hemopo and Daniel Kelly along with the whole forward pack were commended for their performance. The Tweed Heads Seagulls also showed dominance last week after defeating the Ormeau Shearers 58-10. Standing fourth on the ladder, Tweed Heads will want to come out strong as they are only two points behind Runaway Bay. Phoenix Hunapo and Jayden Baker both scored doubles over the weekend and will be ones to watch.
Currumbin Eagles v Burleigh Bears
Suffering their second loss of the season, the Burleigh Bears will need to regroup in the lead up to this week’s clash against the Currumbin Eagles. “The boys played well, we just made too many errors that gave Tugun the opportunities they needed,” Bears Coach Stuart Wilkins said. The Bears were as intense as the Tugun Seahawks and committed to defend however it wasn’t enough to secure a win. Tyler Sparkes, Dylan Pelo and Ricardo Parata all stood out in last weekend’s match however there will be many changes to the Bears squad through injuries. Just outside finals contention the Currumbin Eagles are hungry leading into the Bears clash. Out enthused by the Bilambil Jets, the Eagles have reviewed and identified key areas to work on this week. “I cannot fault the boy’s efforts against the Jets and it was great to see the back up from the individuals,” Eagles Coach Ryan Gundry said. Excited for the challenge players to watch out for are Jake Gleeson and Jarrod Gill.
Ormeau Shearers v Southport Tigers
Struggling to field a team and relying on the under 19s and Reserve Grade competition, the Ormeau Shearers are striving to get a win this weekend. The Shearers will see the return of nine regular line up players which will hopefully boost the team. “We are just trying to get a bit of consistency amongst the playing roster and hope we can strive towards a win at home,” Shearers Coach Ian Frame said. As young Under 19s players step up to the plate, the Shearers are hoping to finish the end of the season on a high. The Southport Tigers are also struggling with injuries and lack of available players this week. As Justin McKenna and Kane Rudolph are both out, the Tigers will be looking at some under 19s players to step up. “Runaway Bay were just really strong and physical in the middle last week, we just need to put our heads down and stick to our game,” Tigers Coach Tim Cannard said. Stand out players to look out for are Zoram Watene, Mick Esdale and Scott Jensen.
Tugun Seahawks v Bilambil Jets
The Tugun Seahawks will celebrate their 40th anniversary this weekend against local rivals the Bilambil Jets. Slowly climbing the ladder, the Seahawks had a win against the strong Burleigh Bears last weekend defeating them 18-10. “We are just getting into the grind of things and slowly getting our full team back,” Seahawks Coach Martin Griese said. The Seahawks are training well and developing set combinations hoping to have consistency through the next couple of weeks. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir and Zac Jones stand out and will be player to watch. Hungry to stay in the top five and within finals contention, the Bilambil Jets secured a win against the Currumbin Eagles. The Jets showed their desire to dominate as they started on the back foot and will want to come out strong this weekend.
Round 15 Teams List
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Bycroft Oval, Saturday, August 5th – 5.30pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Launstein 3. Daniel Kelly 4. Matt Gandy (c) 5. Jake Powell 6. Falani Arkell 7. James Poland 8. Santana Latu 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Jackson O’Leary 11. Kimihia Hemopo 12. Andrew Vela 13. Brodie Clark 14. Dion Belford-Laulu 15. Kingi Akauola 16. Ethan Gallop 17. Robert Reid
Coach: Clinton Toopi
1. Paul Sheedy 2. Jayden Baker 3. Kurtis McDonald 4. Sione Alofi 5. Regan Muir 6. Kobi Annand 7. Phoenix Huapo 8. Jarrod Morfett 9. Jack Cook 10. Josh Harvey 11. Maia Sands 12. Sam Saville 13. Dane Clarke 15. Jordan Aionao 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Shaquille Gafa 20. Macguby Dawson
Coach: Darryl Fisher
Currumbin Eagles v Burleigh Bears at Galleon Way, Sunday, August 6th – 2pm
1. Harley Wood 2. Kallum Mackay 3. Miki Pohio 4. Kenny Allison (c) 5. Dan Jevdenijevic 6. Reid Henderson 7. Jake Gleeson 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Kieran Tarrant 11. Wayne Ryburn 12. Scott Avery 13. Jacob Roby 14. Liam Donnelly 15. Jamie Crocker 16. Jayde Batchelor 17. Jake Harlen
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Toby McIntosh 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Ethan Mafi 6. Sam Grant 7. Jacob Grant 8. TBA 9. Ricardo Parata 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Daniel Schwass 12. Parahi Wilson 13. Lorenzo Maafi 14. Jesse Malcom 15. Anthony Gray 16. Rhys Duke 17. Harry Hughes
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
Ormeau Shearers v Southport Tigers at Brien Harris Oval, Sunday, August 6th – 2pm
1. Lewis Prizeman 2. Kale Fraser 3. Josh Walker 4. Lazeryth Sua 5. Curtis Walsh 6. Jack Sanburg 7. Ben Muller 8. Shane Blow 9. Dallas Chase 10. Mohi Kendrick 11. Taani Uhila-Ngata 12. Matt Smith 13. Trent Shield 14. Jordan Haim 15. Johnny Farr 16. Fabian Te Aotonga 17. Brad Adam
Coach: Ian Frame
1. Dylan Lagerstrom 2. Josh Wooton 3. Lewis Barnett 4. Naz Monsall 5. Classie Oti 6. Scott Jenson 7. Zoram Watene 8. Judaea Monsall 9. Izzy Oti 10. Adam Kelly 11. TBA 12. Jake Landers 13. Mick Esdale 17. Sam Morton 18. Cody Evans 19. Bronston Kennach 20. Corey Griffiths
Coach: Tim Cannard
Tugun Seahawks v Bilambil Jets at Boyd Street, Sunday, August 6th – 2pm
1. Corey Morris 2. Adam Barnes 3. Jabe Gamble 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Zac Jones 6. Grayson Te Kiri 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Levi Norton 11. Tu Whakatihi 12. Ayden Lee 13. Dan Webb 14. Savern Rapana 15. Timi Matenga 16. Chris Hodges 17. Sam Eley 18. Brad Adams
Coach: Martin Griese
1. Luke Jaeger 2. Brenton Daley-Holten 3. Caleb Nicholls 4. Brodie Cook 5. Luke Harey 6. Cal Lynn 7. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman (c) 9. Alex Fitzhugh 10. Wade Hall 11. Andrew Hart 12. Matt O’Rourke 13. Jackson Springer 14. Drew McCullough 15. Tom Raftery 16. Brendon Welsh 17. TBA
Coach: Craig Rowles