A Grade Round 14
Round 14 of the Rugby League Gold Coast competition will kick off this weekend in anticipation.
Burleigh Bears v Tugun Seahawks
On Saturday, the 2016 Grand Final rivals will go head to head. The Burleigh Bears will take on the Tugun Seahawks at Pizzey Park. Working on consistency and attitude, the Seahawks are excited for this week’s clash. “We need to make sure everyone works in a team and plays to their individual roles as well”, said Seahawks Coach Martin Griese. A light week of training, the Seahawks are continually working on new set plays and combinations. Although Dean Murphy and Reece Worboys are still out, Drumayne Dayberg-Muir and Timi Matenga stand out and will be ones to watch. Challenged by the Southport Tigers, the Bears only just did enough to get the 22-14 win last weekend. “We know what we are in for with Tugun, they are always strong and we need to be more disciplined this week”, said Bears Coach Stuart Wilkins. Players to watch are full back Toby McIntosh, Daymeric Pelo and Ricardo Parata.
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Ormeau Shearers
A late game for the Tweed Heads Seagulls and Ormeau Shearers as they travel to Beaudesert’s R.S. Willis Park on Saturday night. Falling short last weekend, the Seagulls are aiming to start strong and get back within the top three of the competition. “We were just out played by the Tugun Seahawks and need to be smarter and take our opportunities”, said Seagulls Coach Darryl Fisher. Although losing a couple of players to injury, captain Josh Harvey, Maia Sands and Sam Meskell all stand out and will be ones to watch. Losing to the Currumbin Eagles 46-14 in last weekend’s clash, the Shearers are working hard to have the capability to wrestle and challenge the strong Seagulls. “We have been training this week focusing on ball control and the ruck and it is really important we complete sets this week”, said Shearers Coach Ian Frame. Frame is hopeful of the return of a handful of players returning from injury, including captain Mohi Kendrick.
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Southport Tigers
The Runaway Bay Seagulls aim to cement their second ladder position as they take on the Southport Tigers. Although defeated by the Burleigh Bears, the Tigers lifted their game and only fell short 22-14 last weekend. Showing strength in the middle, the Runaway Bay Seagulls will need to strap in for a physical match. Standing out last weekend Justin McKenna will be one to watch. Although beaten last week the Runaway Bay Seagulls, have been working on combinations, attacking sets, and fine-tuning set plays. “We have really good depth in the club and definitely progressed a lot this season”, said Seagulls Coach Clinton Toopi. Stand out player Jamie Anderson positively boosts the team with his experience and is one to watch week in week out.
Bilambil Jets v Currumbin Eagles
Sunday will see the local derby between the Bilambil Jets and Currumbin Eagles down at Bilambil Sports. As both teams are on 25 points, sitting fifth and sixth and with finals fast approaching, this southern clash is crucial. Defeating second on the ladder the Runaway Bay Seagulls, the Jets are looking strong and confident leading into this week. Scoring a double, young stand out Brenton Daley-Holten will be one to keep an eye on. Also scoring a win from last weekend against the Ormeau Shearers, the Eagles are hungry to chase down the Jets. Points scored across the board players to watch are Daniel Jevdenijevic, Kelly Benson and Ethan Williams.
Round 14 Teams List
Burleigh Bears v Tugun Seahawks at Pizzey Park, Saturday, July 29th – 4pm
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Toby McIntosh 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Ethan Mafi 6. Sam Grant 7. Jacob Grant 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Ricardo Parata 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Daniel Schwass 12. Parahi Wilson 13. Lorenzo Maafi 14. Jesse Malcom 15. Anthony Gray 16. Rhys Duke 17. Harry Hughes
Coach: Martin Griese
1. Jabe Gamble 2. Adam Barnes 3. Kevin Nilan 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Zac Jones 6. Grayson Te Kiri 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Shane Gray 11. Tu Whakatihi 12. Ayden Lee 13. Dan Webb 14. Savern Rapana 15. Levi Norton 16. Brad Adams 17. Timi Matenga
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Ormeau Shearers at R.S.Willis Beaudesert, Saturday, July 29th – 6pm
Coach: Darryl Fisher
1. Paul Seedy 2. Shaquille Gafa 3. Zak Bainbridge 4. MacAuley Dawson 5. Regan Ogle 6. Kobi Annand 7. Phoenix Hunapo 8. Jordan Aiono-Fatu 9. Mackenzie Reid 10. Joshua Harvey 11. Maia Sands 12. Jarrod Morfett 15. Shaun Hinton 17. Andrew Hart 19. Diaz Harrock 20. Joshua Ralph
Coach: Ian Frame
1. Israel Taligatus 2. Lewis Prizeman 3. Josh Walker 4. Taani Uhila-Ngata 5. Nathan Farragher 6. Jack Sanburg 7. Trent Shield 8. Mohi Kendrick 9. Dallas Chase 10. Shane Blow 11. Jayde Graco 12. Johnny Farr 13. Jordan Haim 14. Ben Muller 15. Josh Hill 16. Aati Sua
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Southport Tigers at Bycroft Oval, Saturday, July 29th – 6.30pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
Coach: Clinton Toopi
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Launstein 3. Jamie Anderson 4. Matt Gandy (c) 5. Jake Powell 6. Joshua Willetts 7. Falani Arkell 8. Jordan McLaughlin 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Kingi Akauola 11. Kimihia Hemopo 12. Andrew Vela 13. Brodie Clark 14. Santana Latu 15. Blake Midson 16. Ethan Gallop 17. Jackson O’Leary
Coach: Tim Cannard
1. Dylan Lagerstrom 2. Kane Rudolph 3. Lewis Barnett 4. Naz Mansell 5. Classie Oti 6. Scott Jenson 7. Zoram Watene 8. Judaea Monsall 9. Izzy Oti 10. Adam Kelly 11. Justin Mckenna 12. Jake Landers 13. Mick Esdale 15. Lachlan Douglas 17. Joseph Ramsden 18. Te-Reihana Peters 20. Corey Griffiths
Bilambil Jets v Currumbin Eagles at Bilambil Sports, Sunday, July 30th – 2pm