A Grade Round 13
Round 13 of the Rugby League Gold Coast competition will kick off this weekend in anticipation as players return to teams from the Australian University Games.
Southport Tigers v Burleigh Bears
Suffering another loss, the Southport Tigers will be in for tough match this weekend. Struggling to compete with the wraths of the Tugun Seahawks, the Tigers will need to work on their ball control to challenge the Burleigh Bears. Zoram Watene, Justin McKenna and Classie Oti all scored tries from the weekend and will be again ones to watch. Eleven rounds in the competition undefeated, the Burleigh Bears suffered their first loss of the season. “We made a lot of errors and gave Tweed too many opportunities which they capitalised on”, said Bears Coach Stuart Wilkins. Losing both halves Sam Grant and Keanu Te Kiri early in the match from injury, caused some disharmony in the side. Prepared with two new halves for this weekend, Daniel Schwass and Jacob Grant will step up to lead the team. A much-needed wake up call for the side, the Bears will be eager to re-establish their dominance in the competition.
Bilambil Jets v Runaway Bay Seagulls
The Bilambil Jets will take on the strong Runaway Bay Seagulls to stay within the top five of the competition. Standing fifth on the ladder, the Jets are in top form as they defeated the Ormeau Shearers 28-12 last weekend. Stand outs Alex Fitzhugh, Cal Lynn and Mitch Spackman all show strength in last weekend’s match. The Jets are in top form and will challenge the Runaway Bay Seagulls this weekend at home. Continuing to surprise the Rugby League Gold Coast clubs, the Seagulls show now sign of slowing down in the competition after a confident 44-22 win against the Currumbin Eagles over the weekend. As both Falani Arkell and John Mackin score doubles over the weekend, they will be ones for the Jets to watch.
Ormeau Shearers v Currumbin Eagles
Up north the Ormeau Shearers will take on the Currumbin Eagles at Brien Harris Oval. Although falling short 44-22 against the Runaway Bay Seagulls, the Eagles are positive leading into this weekends clash. “Overall, I am happy with the team’s performance and they showed some good signs”, said Eagles Coach Ryan Gundry. Stepping up to the plate young under 19’s player Jake Long and captain Ken Allison stand out last weekend’s match and will be ones to watch. Completing sets and consistently defending, the Shearers will need to gear up for a physical match. Leading in last weekend’s match, the Shearers struggled to maintain a win against the powerful Bilambil Jets. “The boys played well and we just need to focus on playing direct and executing plays”, said new Shearers Coach Ian Frame. Stand out players Shane Blow and Trent Shield will be ones to watch this weekend.
Tugun Seahawks v Tweed Heads Seagulls
Down south the Tugun Seahawks will host the Tweed Heads Seagulls. Almost at full strength the Seahawks dominated the Southport Tigers last weekend in a 40-16 win. “The push up has been good and we have been working on attacking”, said Seahawks Coach Martin Griese. Looking for consistency in not only players by field performance, Griese hopes they can chase down the Seagulls on the ladder. Zac Jones and Drumayne Dayberg-Muir stand out and will be ones to watch. On a high after defeating the undefeated Burleigh Bears, the Tweed Heads Seagulls are hungry to maintain position in the competition. “We took our opportunities well and credit to Burleigh for maintaining their composure throughout”, said Seagulls Coach Darryl Fisher. Although the Seagulls will see major changes in the playing roster with Jayden Baker, Jack Cook and Kurtis McDonald all out for this weekend, the side will be looking to Maia Sands for another stand out performance.
Round 13 Teams List
Southport Tigers v Burleigh Bears at Owen Park, Saturday, July 22nd – 5.30pm
Coach: Tim Cannard
1. Jordan Stewart 2. Jayden Watene 3. Joe Ramsden 4. Carlo Alimboyong 5. Classie Oti 6. Israel Oti 7. Kane Rudolph 8. Te-Reihana Peters 9. Damian Dumas 10. Lachlan Douglas 11. Justin McKenna 12. Adam Kelly 13. Mick Esdale 14. Zoram Watene 15. Jake Landers 17. Dylan Lagerstrom 19. Tahu-Potiki Tawhiwhirangi 20. Cody Evans
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Toby McIntosh 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Troy Leo 6. Daniel Schwass 7. Jacob Grant 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Ricardo Parata 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Parahi Wilson 12. Sam Swift 13. Lorenzo Maafa 14. Rhys Duke 15. Harry Hughes 16. Ben Carberry 17. Ethan Mafi
Bilambil Jets v Runaway Bay Seagulls at Bilambil Sports, Sunday, July 23rd – 2pm
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. Cal Lynn 2. Brodie Cook 3. Ben Bullock 4. Luke Harvey 5. Josh Quinn 6. Tom Dawney 7. Carne Rhodes 8. Mitch Spackman (c) 9. Zeke Garrett 10. Chris Rigney 11. Harrison Burling 12. Jackson Springer 13. Tom Raftery 14. Luke Jaeger 15. Brendon Welsh 16. Nick Bond
Runaway Bay Seagulls
Coach: Clinton Toopi
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Launstein 3. Jamie Anderson 4. Matt Gandy (c) 5. Jake Powell 6. Joshua Willetts 7. Falani Arkell 8. Jordan McLaughlin 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Kingi Akauola 11. Kimihia Hemopo 12. Andrew Vela 13. Brodie Clark 14. Santana Latu 15. Blake Midson 16. Ethan Gallop 17. Jackson O’Leary
Ormeau Shearers v Currumbin Eagles at Brien Harris Oval, Sunday, July 23rd – 2pm
Coach: Ian Frame
1. Josh Walker 2. Dylan Blair 3. Johnny Farr 4. Taani Uhila-Ngata 5. Nathan Farragher 6. Jack Sanburg 7. Ben Muller 8. Mohi Kendrick 9. Trent Shield 10. Shane Blow 11. Jordan Haim 12. Matt Smith 13. Dallas Chase 14. Lazeryth Sua 15. Alf Marsters 16. Jamie Trindall 17. Israel Taligatus
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Harley Wood 2. Kallum Mackay 3. Miki Pohio 4. Kenny Allison (c) 5. Dan Jevdenijevic 6. Reid Henderson 7. Jake Gleeson 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Kieran Tarrant 11. Wayne Ryburn 12. Scott Avery 13. Jacob Roby 14. Ethan Williams 15. Jamie Crocker 16. Jayde Batchelor 17. Travis Drought
Tugun Seahawks v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Boyd Street, Sunday, July 23rd – 2pm
Coach: Martin Griese
1. Jabe Gamble 2. Adam Barnes 3. Kevin Nilan 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Zac Jones 6. Grayson Te Kiri 7. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Shane Gray 11. Tu Whakatihi 12. Ayden Lee 13. Dan Webb 14. Savern Rapana 15. Levi Norton 16. Brad Adams 17. Timi Matenga
Coach: Darryl Fisher
1.Jayden Baker 2. David Green 3. Kurtis McDonald 4. Regan Muir 5. David Sheridan 6. Kobi Annand 7. Ben Jackson 8. Ezra Howe 9. Mackensie Reid 10. Josh Harvey 11. Dane Clarke 12. Kirk Murphy 13. Shaun Hinton 14. Angus Dorante 15. Mike Grey 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Michael McKinnon 18. Jordan Aiono 19. Jarrod Morfett