The Gold Coast will host the 2017 A Grade State Carnival at local ground Southport Tigers. The Carnival will take place from Friday 2nd June through Sunday 4th June. Head to Southport this weekend for an enjoyable weekend full of fun and quality Rugby League. Round 7 of the Rugby League Gold Coast A Grade Competition will still kick off in full swing this weekend.
Currumbin Eagles v Tweed Heads Seagulls
Rivalry of the southern teams as the Currumbin Eagles take on the Tweed Heads Seagulls. Eagles Coach Ryan Gundry hopes the team can maintain their continuous desire to improve as they head into Round 7. “Our ball control was better and the boys just improved across the board”, said Gundry. The Eagles are hoping to work on their defence, attack and 5th tackle options as they head into a tough clash against the Tweed Heads Seagulls. The Seagulls will experience some shifts in player numbers as the A Grade State Carnival occurs this weekend. Coach Darryl Fisher is pleased the team has improved in attack and their execution of sets.
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Burleigh Bears
The Runaway Bay Seagulls will play host to the Burleigh Bears for a top of the table clash this weekend. Defeating the Ormeau Shearers 58-12 last weekend, the Seagulls are hoping to challenge the undefeated Burleigh Bears. As the Seagulls re-group to maintain their winning streak, the team have aimed to work on defence as they know the Bears will be physical. As players are called in for the A Grade State Carnival and Queensland Cup, the Burleigh Bears have had a restructure in playing positions. The side this weekend will be captain by Keanu Te Kiri and will also see the return of Waka Wanahi, Tyler Sparkes and Chris Law. Coach Stuart Wilkins knows the team is prepared for the weekend and hopes to further develop players to higher grades. Te Rangiatea McDonald was named as a stand out last weekend as he debuted for the A Grade side.
Ormeau Shearers v Tugun Seahawks
The Ormeau Shearers are battling with injuries as they fall short 58-12 against the Runaway Bay Seagulls last weekend. Coach Jeremy Golf hopes to see some key players return from injury this week and provide a bit of depth for the team. “We are lacking a little experience which hopefully these boys returning can provide for the team” said Golf. Stand out players Lewis Prizeman, Mohi Kendrick and Shane Blow will be ones to watch. The Tugun Seahawks will also see a couple players out due to the A Grade State Carnival weekend. Despite the loss of players, Coach Martin Griese is pleased the team is starting to come together to build combination plays. “We still need to work on our defence and set plays as we move forward into the season”, said Griese. The team will look to Daniel Webb and Brad Adams as they stand out last weekend.
Southport Tigers v Bilambil Jets
Battling a loss, the Southport Tigers are gearing up for a physical match against the Bilambil Jets. “The boys played some of their best football last weekend and completed 85% of their sets”, said Tigers Coach Tim Cannard. The Tigers are aiming to start strong as they know Bilambil are physical and never back down. Although suffering a loss against the Burleigh Bears, the Bilambil Jets have been working to improve their attacking plays.
Round 7 Team List
Currumbin Eagles v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Galleon Way, Saturday, June 3 – 3pm
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Jaxon Galwey 2. Lachie Smith 3. Miki Pohio 4. Kenny Allison (c) 5. Harley Wood 6. Brayden Evan 7. Kyle Ramage 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Kieran Tarrant 11. Jayde Batchelor 12. Scott Avery 13. Liam Donnelly 14. Nathan Ingram 15. Cooper Hennessey 16. Ethan Williams 17. Jacob Roby
Coach: Darryl Fisher
1.Jayden Baker 2. David Green 3. Kurtis McDonald 4. Regan Muir 5. David Sheridan 6. Kobi Annand 7. Ben Jackson 8. Ezra Howe 9. Mackensie Reid 10. Josh Harvey 11. Dane Clarke 12. Kirk Murphy 13. Shaun Hinton 14. Angus Dorante 15. Mike Grey 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Michael McKinnon 18. Jordan Aiono 19. Jarrod Morfett
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Burleigh Bears at Bycroft Oval, Saturday, June 3 – 5.30pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
Coach: Clinton Toopi
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Lauenstein 3. Matthew Gandy 4. Blake Midson 5. Jake Powell 6. Falani Arkell 7. Shaun Nipperess 8. Benjamin Tuala 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Jordan McLaughlin 11. Jackson O’Leary 12. Andrew Vela 13. Ethan Gallop 14. Kingi Akauola 15. Santana Latu 16. Ryan Lamont 17. Ian Fuaivaa
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Sam Grant 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Toby McIntosh 6. Josh Rogers 7. Keanu TeKiri 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Chris Law 10. Tyler Sparkes 11. Rhys Duke 12. Daniel Schwass 13. Ricardo Parata 14. Tyler Chadburn 15. Sam Swift 16. Anthony Gray 17. Sean Garner
Ormeau Shearers v Tugun Seahawks at Brien Harris Oval, Sunday, June 4 – 2pm
Coach: Jeremy Golf
1. Curtis Walsh 2. Nathan Farragher 3. Josh Walker 4. Lewis Prizeman 5. Kaya Gray-Mackey 6. Blake Brown 7. Ben Muller 8. Luke Monk 9. Trent Shield 10. Mohi Kendrick 11. Kurt Sparey 12. Jordan Haim 13. Shane Blow 14. Matt Fatafehi 15. Jack Sanburg
Coach: Martin Griese
1. Scott Bunt 2. Zac Jones 3. Kevin Nilan 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Savern Rapana 6. Drumayne Dayberg-Muir 7. Grayson Te Kiri 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Tu Whakatihi-Paikea 11. Dean Murphy 12. Daniel Webb 13. Shane Gray 14. Travis Barry 15. Brad Adams 16. Chris Hodges 17. Sam Eley
Southport Tigers v Bilambil Jets at Southport Juniors, Sunday, June 4 – 4pm
Coach: Tim Cannard
1. Jayden Watene 2. Lamonz Williams 3. Israel Oti 4. Jordan Stewart 5. Tawhiao Rogers 6. Nathan Wilson 7. Tuhoea Watene 8. Adam Kelly 9. Kane Rudolph 10. Corey Griffiths 11. Jake Landers 12. Joseph Ramsden 13. Michael Esdale 14. Scott Jensen 15. Lachlan Douglas 17. Te -Reihana Peters 20. Ammon Fruean
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. Jayden O’Shannessy 2. Luke Harvey 3. Caleb Nicholls 4. Ben Bullock 5. Josh Quinn 6. Tom Dawney 7. Cal Lynn 9. Tom Plater 10. Wade Hall 11. Jackson Springer 12. Harrison Burling 13. Mitch Spackman (c) 14. Tom Raftery 15. Brendan Welsh 17. Koen Sleba 19. Nick Bond 20. Chris Rigney