Round 6 of the Rugby League Gold Coast A Grade Competition.
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Ormeau Shearers
The Ormeau Shearers battle yet another loss last weekend against the Southport Tigers 42-4. Struggling with injuries and lack of player depth, the Shearers took the full impact of the Tigers strong attack. The Shearers are working towards creating set plays and strengthening their defence for this weekend. The Runaway Bay Seagulls also experienced a loss last weekend against the Tweed Heads Seagulls and re-grouped this week to rectify the 32-nil score. Concentrating on the basics including discipline, the Seagulls are looking to take the win with a home crowd.
Bilambil Jets v Burleigh Bears
The Bilambil Jets will host the undefeated Burleigh Bears this weekend at home after falling short 32-12 against the Tugun Seahawks. Working on defence, structured plays and combinations, the Jets are eager to take on the top team in the competition this weekend. Although defeated the Jets have maintained a positive outlook and are gearing up for a tough match against the Bears after they defeated the Currumbin Eagles 86-nil last weekend. Coach Stuart Wilkins could not fault the side and commended them on their professionalism. Dylan Kelly, Troy Leo and Oliver Regan were stand outs from the weekend and ones to watch. Although the Bears will have a different player roster this weekend, they will be just as competitive against the tough Jets side.
Tugun Seahawks v Currumbin Eagles
The Tugun Seahawks get their second win for the year, defeating the Bilambil Jets 32-14 last weekend. “We implemented some great scoring plays and the boys had a great mind set which was positive” said Coach Martin Griese. The Seahawks worked working on discipline this week and will see some shift in players due to injury. Stand out players Simi Ata and Dean Murphy will be ones to watch this weekend. The Currumbin Eagles will be aiming to bounce back from their significant loss against the Burleigh Bears last weekend. Focusing on moving forward the Eagles have aimed to look at future matches instead dwelling in the past.
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Southport Tigers
The Tweed Heads Seagulls will take on the Southport Tigers this weekend with the hope to maintain their three-week winning streak. Defeating the Runaway Bay Seagulls 32-nil last weekend has allowed the Seagulls to focus on building the team stronger after a tough first two weeks. The Southport Tigers experienced their first win of the season, defeating the Ormeau Shearers 42-4. Coach Tim Cannard knows there is still aspects the team needs to work on but is pleased sets were completed and overall performance was good. The Tigers were working on attitude this weekend to ensure they remain competitive against the Seagulls. Lamont Williams, Michael Esdale and Zoram Watene all stand outs and were commended for their efforts.
Round 6 Team List
Runaway Bay Seagulls v Ormeau Shearers at Bycroft Oval, Saturday, May 27 – 5.30pm
Runaway Bay Seagulls
Coach: Clinton Toopi
1. John Mackin 2. Jake Powell 3. Jamie Anderson 4. Matthew Gandy 5. Walter Lauenstein 6. Falani Arkell 7. Shaun Nipperess 8. Jordan McLaughlin 9. Henry Chan-Ting 10. Benjamin Tuala 11. Kimi Pakipaki-Hempo 12. Andrew Vela 13. Ethan Gallop 14. Jackson O’Leary 15. Blake Midson 16. Santana Latu 17. Kingi Akauola
Coach: Jeremy Golf
1. Curtis Walsh 2. Nathan Farragher 3. Kaya Gray-Mackey 4. Lewis Prizeman 5. Brandon Radke 6. Blake Brown 7. Ben Muller 8. Carl Leifi 9. Dallas Chase 10. Matt Fatafehi 11. Trent Shield 12. Jordan Haim 13. Jack Sanburg 14. Robert Marsters 15. Pheonix Su’a 16. Jamie Trindall
Bilambil Jets v Burleigh Bears at Bilambil Sports, Sunday, May 28, 2pm
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. Luke Jaegar 2. Alex Fitzhugh 3. Luke McNamara 4. Brodie Cook 5. Matt Ryan 6. Carne Rhodes 7. Cal Lynn 8. Chris Rigney 9. Zeke Garrett 10. Wade Hall (c) 11. Jackson Springer 12. Drew McCullough 13. Tom Dawney 14. Zenon Dorrough 15. Brendan Welsh 16. Nick Bond 17. Tom Plater
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Sam Grant 2. Toby McINtosh 3. Dylan Pelo 4. Te Rangiatea McDonald 5. Waka Wanahi 6. Josh Rogers 7. Keanu Te Kiri 8. Daymeric Pelo 9. Ricardo Parata 10. Anthony Gray 11. Daniel Schwass 12. Jesse Malcolm 13. Rhys Duke 14. Tyler Chadburn 15. Ben Carberry 16. Sam Swift 17. Jonagh Gardiner
Tugun Seahawks v Currumbin Eagles at Boyd Street, Sunday, May 28, 2pm
Coach: Martin Griese
1. Corey Morris 2. Adam Barnes 3. Kevin Nilan 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Savern Rapana 6. Jabe Gamble 7. Grayson Te Kiri 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Simi Ata 11. Daniel Webb 12. Ayden Lee 13. Dean Murphy 14. Nathaniel Swain 15. Brad Adams 16. Timi Matenga 17. Chris Hodges
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Kyle Ramage 2. Nathan Ingram 3. Miki Pihio 4. Ken Allison (c) 5. Harley Wood 6. Brad Williams 7. Travis Drought 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Keiran Tarrant 11. Wayne Ryburn 12. Scott Avery 13. Cooper Hennessey 14. Jacob Roby 15. Liam Donnelly 16. Ethan Williams 17. Nathan Corden
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Southport Tigers at Piggabeen Sports, Sunday, May 28, 3.30pm
Coach: Darryl Fisher
1.Jayden Baker 2. David Green 3. Kurtis McDonald 4. Regan Muir 5. David Sheridan 6. Kobi Annand 7. Ben Jackson 8. Ezra Howe 9. Mackensie Reid 10. Josh Harvey 11. Dane Clarke 12. Kirk Murphy 13. Shaun Hinton 14. Angus Dorante 15. Mike Grey 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Michael McKinnon 18. Jordan Aiono 19. Jarrod Morfett
Coach: Tim Cannard
1. Jayden Watene 2. Lamonz Williams 3. Israel Oti 4. Jordan Stewart 5. Tawhiao Rogers 6. Nathan Wilson 7. Tuhoea Watene 8. Adam Kelly 9. Kane Rudolph 10. Corey Griffiths 11. Jake Landers 12. Joseph Ramsden 13. Michael Esdale 14. Scott Jensen 15. Lachlan Douglas 17. Te -Reihana Peters 20. Ammon Fruean