Round 5 of the Rugby League Gold Coast A Grade Competition.
Burleigh Bears v Currumbin Eagles
A great start to the 2017 season as the Burleigh Bears are undefeated heading into Round 5 after taking home the Crackers Tangata-Toa Cup. Coach Stuart Wilkins is pleased the team controlled themselves and maintained their level of football. “It was a touch match, Tugun are always hungry and physical and is what we expected” said Wilkins of last weekend’s match. Although Tyler Sparkes, Daymeric Pelo and Troy Leo all stand out, the team will experience some shifts in the front row due to injury. A tough week for the Currumbin Eagles just falling short 24-20 against the Bilambil Jets, Sunday’s match against the Burleigh Bears will be a test for the season. “Although we couldn’t get the win and had far to many errors, our defence was really good against Bilambil” said Coach Ryan Gundry. Stand out players Kelly Benson and under 19s Cooper Hennessey who played lock will be ones to watch, with Brad Williams and Liam Donnelly both returning from injury.
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Runaway Bay Seagulls
As the Tweed Heads Seagulls recover from a physical match against the Ormeau Shearers, Tweed will see some players return from injury. Sione Alofi, Jackson Clark and Jack Cook will all return for the Round 5 clash against Runaway Bay. “We are still building combinations and working on confidence as we settle into a more constant team” said Tweed Coach Darryl Fisher. Stand out players Joshua Harvey and Shaun Hinton will be ones to watch. Defeating the Southport Tigers 28-12 has given the Runaway Bay Seagulls some confidence leading into this week’s clash against Tweed. Taking on another top team within the competition, Coach Clinton Toopi is hopeful the team can challenge Tweed and gain another win this season.
Bilambil Jets v Tugun Seahawks
A local derby this week as the Bilambil Jets take on the Tugun Seahawks. Coach Craig Rowles hopes the team can stick to what is done at training and maintain a home win. “Although it wasn’t the best match we just stuck in” said Rowles of the match. The Jets are unsure what to expect this weekend especially with captain Joshua Harvey out of action due to a hamstring injury. The team will be looking at stand outs Jackson Springer and Brendan Walsh for support for this weekend. The Jets know the Seahawks will be physical and fast, they will need to complete sets and get early points on the board. Although losing 22-14 against Burleigh, Coach Martin Griese is pleased with the performance of the team. “We did well especially in defence and the boys have been working hard to put set plays back into our game, which will be good to see over the weekend” said Griese. In the forwards, Shane Gray and Dean Murphy stand out in last weekend’s match.
Southport Tigers v Ormeau Shearers
Ready for another tough week after losing 16-8 against Tweed, the Ormeau Shearers having been working heavily on their defence game which clearly shows in the score line. “The team did everything I asked and can only keep moving up from here” said Coach Jeremy Golf. While the team push each other, and work hard to do their individual jobs, full back Curtis Walsh stands out from the pack. The team will be looking for club depth as there are shifts in player positions and availability. Also experiencing a loss, the Southport Tigers will be aiming to re-establish their position within the competition. “Attitude this week was a huge focus for the team as we gave away too many penalties and the discipline across the park was lacking” said Coach Tim Cannard of the team’s performance. Justin McKenna and captain Mick Esdale stand out and will be ones to guide the team forward.
Round 5 Team List
Burleigh Bears v Currumbin Eagles at Pizzey Park, Sunday, May 21 – 12.15pm
Coach: Stuart Wilkins
1. Sam Grant 2. Waka Wanahi 3. Troy Leo 4. Dylan Pelo 5. Oliver Regan 6. Keanu Te Kiri 7. Jacob Grant 8. Anthony Gray 9. Ricardo Parat 10. Ben Carberry 11. Daniel Schwass 12. Jesse Malcolm 13. Rhys Duke 14. Josh Rogers 15. Toby McIntosh 16. Jonagh Gardiner 17. Sam Swift
Coach: Ryan Gundry
1. Kyle Ramage 2. Nathan Ingram 3. Miki Pihio 4. Ken Allison (c) 5. Harley Wood 6. Brad Williams 7. Travis Drought 8. Jarrod Gill 9. Kelly Benson 10. Keiran Tarrant 11. Wayne Ryburn 12. Scott Avery 13. Cooper Hennessey 14. Jacob Roby 15. Liam Donnelly 16. Ethan Williams 17. Nathan Corden
Tweed Heads Seagulls v Runaway Bay Seagulls at Piggabeen Sports, Sunday, May 21 – 12.15pm
Coach: Daayl Fisher
1.Jayden Baker 2. David Green 3. Kurtis McDonald 4. Regan Muir 5. David Sheridan 6. Kobi Annand 7. Ben Jackson 8. Ezra Howe 9. Mackensie Reid 10. Josh Harvey 11. Dane Clarke 12. Kirk Murphy 13. Shaun Hinton 14. Angus Dorante 15. Mike Grey 16. Diaz Sharrock 17. Michael McKinnon 18. Jordan Aiono 19. Jarrod Morfett
Runaway Bay Seagulls
Coach: Clinton Toopi
1. John Mackin 2. Walter Lauenstein 3. Matthew Gandy 4. Jamie Anderson 5. Jake Powell 6. Falani Arkell 7. Shaun Nipperess 8. Benjamin Tuala 9. Ethan Gallop 10. Jordan McLaughlin 11. Kimi Pakipaki-Hempo 12. Andrew Vela 13. Henry Chan-Ting 14. Santana Latu 15. Cruze Tamatea 16. Jackson O’Leary 17. Blake Midson
Bilambil Jets v Tugun Seahawks at Bilambil Sports, Sunday, May 21 – 2pm
Coach: Craig Rowles
1. Luke Jaegar 2. Alex Fitzhugh 3. Luke McNamara 4. Brodie Cook 5. Matt Ryan 6. Carne Rhodes 7. Cal Lynn 8. Chris Rigney 9. Zeke Garrett 10. Wade Hall (c) 11. Jackson Springer 12. Drew McCullough 13. Tom Dawney 14. Zenon Dorrough 15. Brendan Welsh 16. Nick Bond 17. Tom Plater
Coach: Martin Griese
1. Corey Morris 2. Adam Barnes 3. Timi Matenga 4. Tim Cassidy 5. Savern Rapana 6. Jabe Gamble 7. Nathaniel Swain 8. Bryce Thomas 9. Chris Thomas 10. Levi Norton 11. Dean Murphy 12. Ayden Lee 13. Shane Gray 14. Dylan McLaren 15. Travis Barry 17. Simi Ata
Southport Tigers v Ormeau Shearers at Owen Park, Sunday, May 21 – 2pm
Coach: Tim Cannard
1. Jayden Watene 2. Lamonz Williams 3. Israel Oti 4. Jordan Stewart 5. Tawhiao Rogers 6. Nathan Wilson 7. Tuhoea Watene 8. Adam Kelly 9. Kane Rudolph 10. Corey Griffiths 11. Jake Landers 12. Joseph Ramsden 13. Michael Esdale 14. Scott Jensen 15. Lachlan Douglas 17. Te -Reihana Peters 20. Ammon Fruean
Coach: Jeremy Golf
1. Curtis Walsh 2. Nathan Farragher 3. Kaya Gray-Mackey 4. Josh Walker 5. Brandon Radke 6. Blake Brown 7. Ethan Taylor 8. Matt Fatafehi 9. Dallas Chase 10. Jordan Haim 11. Trent Shield 12. Kurt Sparey 13. Jack Sanburg 14. Shane Blow 15. Chris Young 16. Fabian Te Aotonga